Saturday, September 1, 2012

Green School


Last year for Earth Day, my students did a little Earth Day Report Card, and found that there were some easy ways to Go Green and be Earth friendly that we were not doing.  Following the survey, I had my children do some research on the top 3 that we scored the lowest on.

1. Idle Free Zone
2. Composing in the Classroom 
3. Plants in the school

After they did research, they had to write a letter to convince the principal and myself that we needed to try these things. They had to present the research and make a plan for us to follow.  Several students did research on plants. They found that plants can increase focus, raise test scores, clean the air, reduce stress, and help lower blood pressure.  Part of their plan was that I needed to buy plants to put in my room.

When I saw tropical plants on sale at Hen House for $1, I was sold.  Well, sorta.  I was on a run when I saw them, and I was not about to run home with plants.  So I waited a few days, and went back.  They were gone. I went to 3 Hen Houses to find the $1 tropical plants! I checked the Hen House ad to make sure that this sale was true at all Hen Houses.  They even had this to say on the ad, "Did you know? Keeping indoor plants not only adds a nice green touch to our homes; some indoor plant species have proven to be effective filters for pollutants such as carbon monoxide."


These little plants came in plastic, not cute, pots. So I ran to my favorite store, Hobby Lobby, and found terra cotta pots on sale for 1/2 off. Five pots & saucers cost me $5! So new plants for school & home- $10 for 5 plants!







Edit: I was so excited to put my plants up in my window sill at school. They were there for less than 24 hours.  I had the blinds down, but the windows open.  Then all of a sudden, a big gust of wind blew them over and shattered them all over the floor (in the middle of a science lesson!) I was able to save the plants, but had to buy new plastic pots and find a different place besides the window to put my plants! 

No comments:

Post a Comment