Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Free Rewards & PBIS

Our school has adopted a program called PBIS- Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports. The idea behind this program is that you use positive reinforcement to get the behaviors you want to see, and teach expectations.  At our school we want the children to be Safe, Responsible, and Respectful.  If you see a child doing these things, you give them a Tiger Ticket, and say how they were being safe, responsible, or respectful. If they have earned a ticket each day, they are entered in a daily drawing.  With this program you are supposed to give a daily reward, weekly reward, and a monthly reward.  Last year I felt like I wasn't doing a very good job and the kids were not excited about the rewards, HW passes, lunch in the courtyard, pencils, junk, candy, etc. I also wasn't doing a very good job of passing out tickets, keeping track of them, or doing the drawing on a regular basis.

So over the summer, I thought about how I could make my program in my room run a little better.  I did some research, on Pinterest, of course, and a few teaching blogs that I follow. I decided that I was going to make a choice binder with free things.  On Pinterest  and TPT (search free reward cards) I found a lot of rewards that were already made up! Some of them were large pages, and some were little cards.  So I printed the ones I thought I would use.  Then I laminated them, and had my wonderful student teacher and paras cut them out for me.  Then I found some library pockets that were already in my drawer, laminated and ready to go! I stuck different rewards in each pocket, and labeled them with an extra card.  Then on the rewards that were whole pages, I stuck (with double stick tape) the pocket on the back.  I had a few rewards that didn't have the big pages, so I just stuck them on to a laminated piece of paper.  Finally, I 3 hole punched all of the pages and put them together with some chicken rings.



My kids were SO excited about all of the rewards! They couldn't wait to get their name drawn.  When a child wins, they select the card, and I sign the back and write their name with vis-a-vis (to prevent stealing cards as they look thru the book).  When they use the card, I can wipe off their name and my signature, and put it back in the book!

Now for some of the "house keeping"

  • I have the helper of the day collect and record tickets at the end of the day on a spreadsheet. 
  • Once they get 1 tiger ticket, they get to put in a yellow carnival ticket with their name into the drawing. 
  • The helper of the day also does the drawing. 
  • Yellow tickets stay in the drawing box, until Friday, when I draw a daily and a weekly winner. 
  • Weekly & monthly winners get a prize from the office. 


I was asked to add a list of some of the rewards: 
  • Skip morning work
  • Use the teacher’s chair
  • Eat lunch with the teacher and friend
  • Homework pass
  • Pick your own partner pass
  • Move your desk next to a friend for a day
  • Write in pen for the day
  • Sit on the floor with a pillow
  • Chew gum for 30 minutes
  • Teacher cleans and organizes your desk
  • Dibs on the Computer
  • Listen to music while you work
  • Pick the music to listen to
  • No shoes for the day
  • Sit at the teacher’s desk
  • Pick a prize from the treasure chest
  • Late work pass
  • Sharpen your pencil at any time
  • Use the teacher’s supplies
  • Sit anywhere you like
  • Read a book to the class
  • Read a book to the principal
  • Bring a stuffed animal for the day
  • Lunch in the courtyard
  • I also make up some of the scratch off ones, these go super fast! They love them! Scratch-off Rewards from Highlights Magazine



 The most popular ones are homework passes, sit in the teachers chair, sit next to a friend, dibs on computer, and eat lunch with a friend and teacher in the room. 

25 comments:

  1. That is really cute, April! Reminds me of my second grade teacher and Praise Tickets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Those are my rolly chair pages. :) Glad you could use them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you consider posting your list of rewards? It looks like you have some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have added a list! If you don't want to make them up yourself visit teacherspayteachers.com and search free rewards!

      Delete
  4. Hi April,

    I just found your blog...through Pinterest, of course. I am looking forward to reading more about your class. I like the idea of storing them in a binder. It looks like I have something new for my EA to work on next week. Thanks for sharing.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. MNW is a first year PBIS School and we are looking for an acknowledgment system school wide. Your ideas have been so helpful for us. Praising positive behavior is so powerful. Thanks for sharing, Mrs. Bleam from Manson NW Elem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Manson NW Webster Elem. is a first year PBIS School. Your ideas for the acknowledgement piece of PBIS is so helpful. Thanks for sharing! Praising positive behavior is so powerful for the students. Thanks, Mrs. Bleam MNW School Counselor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have these coupons on TeachersPayTeachers.com? This is a good idea for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joisey,
      I used coupons teachers had already made. I searched Free Rewards, then filtered Free! These teachers were kind enough to share! It saved me a ton of time!

      Delete
  8. WOW! I like your teacher blog! These would also work for first grade!! I am also a font queen! What is the name of the font you used for the card covers "use the teacher's chair for one day"? Hope you are enjoying your summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the cards from TPT so, I'm not sure of the font!

      Delete
    2. I love fonts too! I'm pretty sure the font is called, "wish I was taller." If it is, that font is only lowercase letters, just an FYI :)

      Delete
  9. I love this but was unable to find on TpT. :( Is there something more specific to look under than free rewards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a combination of cards from different TpT stores.

      http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Reward-Coupons-for-Your-Students-249322 is the one I used the most from!

      I did free rewards, then filtered, FREE in the $$ section. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  10. can you upload the spreadsheet you use to track the tickets everyday?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can the reward certificates be modified to say different sayings? I love the borders, but would like to have some varied sayings for my classes?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have to ask the TPT sellers. I just found them online for free!

      Delete
  12. I am looking for a fifth grade classroom that will do pet pals with me this year...anyone out there?? any suggestions on how to get someone? I tried facebook...I really love the idea!! I will be working at a public school in Main and was hoping there was someone in another region that would be interested...

    ReplyDelete
  13. My school usually does this...Please contact Rosemary Martinez (librarian) at Olmito Elemenatry in Los Fresnos Consolidated School District.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My school usually does this...Please contact Rosemary Martinez (librarian) at Olmito Elemenatry in Los Fresnos Consolidated School District.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous ideas! I'll be sharing this with our PBIS team!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This year I'm going to add a level of excitement, I made the reward cards into QR codes so the students don't know what reward they received until it was scanned. I like the idea of writing their name on the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris- I love that idea. What program do you like to use to make QR codes? We are getting iPads next year!

      Delete
  17. Can you clarify how you use the rewards? Do kids get to use their choice throughout the following week after their name is drawn? You mentioned that you drew "daily" and "weekly" winners on Fridays. I'm not quite sure what you mean. I love the idea and want to combine Class Dojo with it to make it work for my 3rd grade class!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a new blog and I finally posted my first post! I used your Rewards Binder as inspiration and have linked you in my blog. Please follow me! Go here to see my post http://championsinsixth.blogspot.com/2015/06/rewards-binder.html

    ReplyDelete