2 teaspoons canola oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
8 oz chicken/pork mild Italian sausage with casings removed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 poblano chilies, seeded and finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken stock, divided
2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes, not drained
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup light sour cream
*Adapted from Cooking Light- they call for a different kind of sausage, and salt free everything
3. Stir in chili powder, oregano, cumin, poblanos, and bay leaf. (Poblanos are big and green peppers, they took a while to dice! Thanks Erica!)
4. Cook until sausage is browned, stirring to crumble sausage.
5. Add 1 cup stock, tomatoes, and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
6. Combine flour and 2 tablespoons of chicken stock, stirring with a whisk to form a slurry.
Note: I used context clues and prior knowledge to figure out that word, but in case you were wondering it is defined asI also used a spoon instead of a whisk, because I didn't want to dirty another dish.
7. Add slurry to chili, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and black pepper. Discard bay leaf and serve with sour cream.
Serve with cornbread! We added jalapenos and Mexican cheese to the Jiffy Mix.