Sunday, September 2, 2012

Zucchini Surprise?!

Last week, I had planned to make stuffed zucchini boats. However, I got busy, and it didn't happen.  My zucchini started to look a little wimpy, I didn't buy the sausage she recommended, and I didn't go for the low-fat cheese. I had to come up with an alternative.  I settled on a zucchini casserole?lasagna?surprise?!  


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 of my easy marinara sauce
  • 3 medium zucchini (chop 1, thinly slice 2)
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 1/2 small onion, finely diced
  • 1 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
  • 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 12 oz Italian chicken sausage with no casing (pre-cooked)
  • 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
  • salt & pepper
Directions: 

Preheat the oven to 450*. 

In a large pan, brown sausage. Add oil, onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook on a medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes. Add chopped zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook about 3-5 minutes.

As sausage mixture is cooking, spray a 9x13 in Pyrex with cooking spray.  Layer the zucchini slices in a single layer.  Pour 1/2 of the marinara sauce over the zucchini. Place half of the sausage mixture over the marinara.  Then sprinkle with cheese.  Repeat with remaining zucchini, marinara, and sausage mixture.  Top with cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for 5 more minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment