I love chicken parmesan, so why not turn it into a burger on my favorite kind of bread, ciabatta! I also liked being able to use my fresh herbs.
Ground chicken was not easy to find. They do not sell it at Trader Joe's or Target, but do at your regular grocery store.
4 square ciabatta rolls
1t minced garlic
1 pound ground chicken
1/3 cup plus 2T marinara sauce, divided
1/2 t chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 t. chopped fresh thyme
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 t salt
1/8 t black pepper
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Preheat broiler
2. Cut rolls in half, and place bread cut side up on a baking sheet. Broil for 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. You can also drizzle them with olive oil. After you take them out of the oven add a little bit of garlic to each roll.
3. Preheat oven to 375*.
4. Combine chicken, 1/3 cup marinara, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, and red pepper.
5. Divide into 4 patties.
6. Heat a cast iron pan over medium high heat, coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties to pan. Cook for 3 minutes.
7. Turn patties and place pan in oven. Bake at 375* for 8 minutes. Top each with cheese, bake for 1 minute.
8. Layer bottom half of roll with 2 basil leaves, 1 patty, marinara, and more basil!
Adapted from Cooking Light - Back to School issue