Monday, September 30, 2013

Very Hungry Caterpillar

Halloween is quickly approaching, that means it is costume time! The last 2 years, I have made costumes for my friends kiddos.  This year #3 is on the way and will only be a few weeks old.  We looked at buying a knitted version of the Very Hungry Caterpillar, but could not justify the $40 price tag! 

So it was time to get crafty! 

I bought long sleeved onesies at Marshall's and RIT dye at Walmart! I filled my sink up with HOT water and added about a half of bottle of the liquid RIT dye.  I stirred it around for about 5 minutes, then rinsed it out and washed it. Perfect caterpillar green color! 


I also bought this red hat at Marshall's. It saved me a few steps, and for a few dollars, it was worth it.  All of the other fabric, I already had in my scrap pile. I added Wonder Under to the fabric.  I cut out circles using a paper punch. It wasn't as sharp as I would have liked it to be, but it was at least the circle shape, and I could cut the rest out by hand.  Next, I cut out felt antennas. Then I turned the hat inside out and ironed on the circles, nose, and sewed on the antennas!


This whole project cost less than $10, and took about 30 minutes! 

I can't wait to see baby J in it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment