Monday, April 15, 2013

Skillet Cornbread

When I didn't have any Jiffy Mix in my pantry, and didn't want to go to the store in a snow storm, I decided I was going to put my new skillet to use! I had to pick and choose from recipes, based on the ingredients I had on hand (no buttermilk). I had everything to make this one!



Ingredients: 
1/4 cup of butter
1 cup of white or yellow cornmeal
1 cup of all purpose flour
1/4 cup of sugar
4 t. of baking powder
1/2 t. of salt
1 cup of milk
1 egg
1/4 cup of vegetable oil.

Directions
Preheat oven to 425F.
Place the butter into a 10-inch  cast iron skillet and heat in the oven until butter is melted.
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk and egg until well blended.
Pour batter into the HOT and buttery skillet (batter will sizzle), return to the oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until bread is golden brown and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean.
Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
Flip cornbread onto a large plate and cut into wedges.


Adapted from Grouprecipies.com

No comments:

Post a Comment