Thursday, August 21, 2014

Giardiniera

This is my new favorite garden recipe. This year, only my peppers have really been going crazy. Part of this is because they are one thing the stupid squirrels won't eat! With over 100 peppers, I had to figure out something to make! One of my favorite sandwich shops makes really good hot peppers.  I wanted to make something similar. I also have used Giardiniera in my Italian Beef recipe, and loved it. So I went on the hunt for a recipe that sounded similar. 


Ingredients: 
1 small head cauliflower, broken into small florets (about 5 cups)
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
4 jalapeno peppers, sliced
6 serrano peppers, sliced
1/2 cup salt
1 cup white vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup canola oil
1 jar (10 ounces) small pimiento-stuffed olives, drained

Directions: 
Chop veggies (I used the food processor to speed up and get small pieces)

In a large Tupperware container, toss cauliflower, celery, carrot and peppers with salt. Add cold water to cover. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.

Drain vegetables; rinse with cold water and drain again.  Don't forget this step, or it will be salty!

In a large bowl, whisk vinegar, garlic, oregano and pepper flakes. Gradually whisk in oil until blended. 

Add olives and drained vegetables; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, overnight to allow flavors to blend.
Transfer mixture to covered jars. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks. Enjoy on sandwiches or by its self!








Adapted from: Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment