Monday, January 27, 2014

Stuffed Peppers- Italian Style

I have been trying to find a good stuffed pepper recipe for a while. I think I finally found one I like! I had a coupon for these Johnsonville Chicken Sausages and decided to try some with that, instead of ground turkey or beef.

I found a recipe to go off of, but since the sausage had so many great flavors, I decided to simplify it, and use up a few ingredients, instead of going out to buy more. (This would be why it calls just a little bit of yellow peppers, and petite diced tomatoes/marinara/tomato sauce)  I didn't want to open a 14 oz can of tomato sauce, so I used a tomato marinara I made up last week to go with my zucchini meatballs.

So feel free to mix it up a bit for your stuffed peppers too!


Ingredients: 
1/4 onion, chopped
1 cup chicken stock, divided
3 peppers cut in half with seeds removed. (I used red)
2 T. diced yellow peppers
4 chicken sausage links- Johnsonville 3 Cheese Italian Style
1 t. minced garlic
1 cup COOKED rice
1/2 cup petite diced tomatoes/marinara/or tomato sauce
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
olive oil


Directions
Preheat oven to 400* and cook rice, if it is not cooked.


Drizzle a little olive oil in a medium sized pan.  Add onion, garlic, and sausage.  Cook until onions are translucent and sausage is slightly browned.

Add 1/2 cup tomato mixture and 1/2 cup chicken broth.  Mix and simmer on low for 5 minutes.

Add rice to mixture.

Place peppers in a baking dish. Fill each pepper with as much of the stuffing mix as you can.

Pour the remainder of the chicken stock into the bottom of the baking dish.


Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.  Remove foil and sprinkle cheese on top. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.



 Last night we made them with just Spanish rice, Rotel, and cheese, but followed the basic directions.
We also made some with parmesan couscous and cheese on top! So really you can put what ever you want in them!! It is a great way to sneak in some veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment