Wednesday, January 15, 2014

French Onion Soup

On a cold winter day, what a better thing to serve than soup? I made this for my wreath party last month. I wanted something I could make, and leave, while we were gone at Hobby Lobby. I also wanted something that could serve 8 people! We had the perfect amount. 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 onions sliced thin
2 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
1 cup red wine
2 quarts beef broth
Worcestershire sauce
Toppings:
baguette
Gruyere or provolone cheese



Directions: 
Melt stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, and salt and pepper and cook until the onions are soft and caramelized.  I had to split mine up into 2 pans to help them cook.
Best way to cut a lot of onions, you ask? FOOD PROCESSOR! I was done in 1 minute with 4 onions, perfectly sliced! 

Add the wine, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated and the onions are dry, about 5 minutes.  Discard bay leaves.  Add broth, Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 30 minutes.
When you are ready to eat, arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet and sprinkle with cheese.  Broil until bubbly and golden brown.
Serve with the baguettes on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment