In our new reading series, Wonders, there is a story called From Tale to Table. It is about baking bread and it is about how you have to follow a plan and read carefully to make a recipe. It included a recipe for bread. So to break up our usual reading and paper pencil plan, I decided to make bread! The kids loved it and the bread was yummy!
I sent out an SOS email in the morning and had a mom take it home and bring it back to us!
1 cup warm water
¼ cup sugar
2 t. active dry yeast
1 t. salt
3 cups flour
2 T vegetable oil
1. In a bowl, combine the warm water and 2 t. of sugar. Sprinkle the yeast on top. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Stir the solution in the bowl. Then add the salt, oil, and the rest of the sugar.
3. Put flour in another bowl. Slowly pour in the solution and stir until the mixture comes together. Shape the dough with your hands to make it round.
4. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 8 minutes. Then place it in a covered, greased bowl. Put it somewhere warm to rise for 1 hour. The dough should double in size.
5. Take the dough out and punch it down. Shape the dough into a loaf.
6. Place the loaf in a greased bread pan. Then cover the loaf. Wait for about an hour.
7. Remove the cover and bake the dough in the oven at 375*F for 25-30 minutes. Check that the crust is golden brown and the center is fully cooked. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool.