These are a few tips and tricks I figured out as I was cooking.
- Quadruple your recipe.
- find a large measuring cup, or pitcher that can hold 4 cups. Ladle the soup into the measuring cup, and then pour it into the baggies.
- Release the air and lay flat.
- Lay it flat in a freezer basket or a box.
- If everyone lays their soup flat, it will be really easy to store!
On serving day, everyone brought their soup in a crockpot ready to serve. I found that the small crockpots hold 1.5 quarts which was perfect, but the big ones worked too. I also bought bowls and little ramekins so we could do a soup flight and taste all of them.
Here are the soups that we had:
Cheesy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 6 cups water (or chicken broth)- I usually use mixture of both
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
POTATO BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUPIngredients:
- 1 1/4 lbs. (about 4 med.) potatoes
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 2 1/2 c. boiling chicken stock
- 1 1/2 c. broccoli florets, cooked tender-crisp or 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen broccoli cuts
- 1 1/2 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
Tortellini Soup with Chunky Tomatoes and Spinach
Yields 3 to 4 servings
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 to 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium diced tomatoes, including juices
9-10 ounces tortellini (fresh or frozen), any variety
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
10 ounces fresh or frozen spinach, chopped (if frozen, thaw and squeeze out excess moisture)
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1/4 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute onion for 5-7 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic, and saute for 1 minute.
- Add broth and tomatoes. Turn heat to high, cover and bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini and cook according to package instructions.
- Within the last minute of cooking the tortellini, stir in Italian herb seasoning, crushed red pepper and spinach. Taste, and add salt and pepper seasoning, as desired.
- Serve immediately, garnishing each bowl with Parmesan cheese.