Thursday, December 13, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese- Quinoa Style!

I am trying really hard these next 2 weeks to use up things in my freezer and pantry.  I started browsing my Pinterest board and found a recipe for Quinoa Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese.  I almost passed it up, because I didn't have any chicken. BUT I did have leftover buffalo chicken that I had made in the crock pot a few weeks ago.  Double whammy! Using up freezer and pantry things! I had to adapt the recipe a bit, but it turned out pretty good. It is supposed to be healthier for you too...



Ingredients:
  • 1-1/4 cups quinoa
  • 2 T flour
  • 1-1/2 cups milk, divided
  • 2 green onions, sliced
  • 2 Tablespoons Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce
  • 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup cooked Buffalo Chicken

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350*. Cook quinoa according to package directions and set aside, be sure to rinse and drain it first.
  • Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup milk in a separate saucepan over medium heat, till thick. Pour in remaining 1 cup of milk, and green onions. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring to prevent it from burning, then cook for one minute while boiling.
  • Remove the pan from the heat then add in buffalo sauce and cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese is completely melted then add in cooked quinoa and chicken, and stir to combine.
  • Pour into a non-stick sprayed casserole dish and top with another sprinkle of cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.
  • Serve with carrots and celery left over from your Christmas Party veggie tray! 
adapted from Iowa Girl Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment