Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Snow Day Spaghetti Sauce

I had great plans of letting this spaghetti sauce simmer all day in the crockpot as I sat at home enjoying my snowday. It would make my house smell good, I had all the ingredients at home, and it would be a hearty winter meal. However, plans changed when my power went out at 9:56, minutes before my 10:00 start time.

I checked with my neighbor Mary Ann, and she said she would host my crockpot!

So in the semi-dark, powerless kitchen I prepared this sauce. I opened up the cans and started dumping. I opened up WHOLE tomatoes, not crushed. So I decided to double the recipe. I could freeze the leftovers!

I had some turkey sausage left over from my quiche, so I used that. It was already cooked, and added the other lb when I was able to get to a stove, right before I served the sauce.

Then I went to my friend Megan's house to eat the spaghetti! I shared a little with Mary Ann too, after all she had to smell it all day!!



Ingredients (this is the doubled recipe)

  • 2 lb. Italian sausage
  • 1/2 diced onion
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes
  • 2 6 oz cans tomato paste
  • 2 cups water
  • 4 T sugar
  • 2 T dried oregano
  • 2 T dried basil
  • 2 t fennel seed
  • 2 t sea salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1 t Italian seasoning


Directions
Place all ingredients in the crockpot on low for 8 hours. Add in sausage at the end if you don't want it to be too dry.





No comments:

Post a Comment